0
Case Study

Dyslexia.ie (D.A.I.): Case Study

By 24th October 2018 No Comments

Overview

Founded in 1972, the Dyslexia Association of Ireland (DAI) is a charity which works with and for people affected by dyslexia, by providing information, offering appropriate support services, engaging in advocacy and raising awareness of dyslexia. DAI’s vision is a dyslexia friendly society where all people with dyslexia are enabled to fulfil their potential, where every child and adult with dyslexia has access to appropriate identification and support to achieve their full potential in education, training, employment and all aspects of life.

Project

DAI Website Redesign

Client

Dyslexia Association of Ireland

What We Did

UI/UX Design, Responsive Web Design, Info Architecture, Accessibilty

Tech Spec

WordPress CMS Visual Composer UI builder

Timeline

12 weeks

Our Approach

We conducted an extensive discovery process. Most of our research was UX focused around designing for people with dyslexia. We had a steep learning curve of initially knowing nothing to get to place where we were confident of an approach that would empathetic to people with dyslexia. We researched a lot of online UX and design material. The challenge was the treatment of this in a digital environment where typical web design would exclude the majority and core of their website users. Our aim was to appeal to a multitude of users but prioritising all issues of accessibility.

CMS Selection

DAI wanted an Enterprise-level CMS to streamline content creation, content management, and site administration. The CMS needed to support reusable and responsive page templates for several types of content including microsites. Given DAI’s requirements, wordpress was a natural fit for their new website. WordPress is responsive out of the box and easier to manage for non-technical users . We also added a solid UI template builder. Robust tagging and reusable template have been an essential part of WebSociety’s recommended WP operational set-up.

Content Migration

We analyzed the content to determine which migrations should be manual and which should be automated. Some of the content, such as jobs, only had a small number of pages, so we chose to migrate those manually. There was also microsite content for a number of affiliates that was being heavily reworked for the redesign so was manually migrated. For content that had many items such as blog and news articles, we did automated migrations from the source MySQL database into the new site. We did a “blob to body field” migration. In this approach, the original “blob” (unstructured) content was migrated directly into the new site body field for the particular type of content. Structured content fields were also added to these content types to allow content editors to slowly transition content from the body field into the structured fields over time. The structured content provides the editors with easier content management and more flexible layouts. In general, this is a very good approach when either you have a tight timeline or your content editors want more time to experiment with the new content editing tools without holding up the site launch.,

Development Stages

Consultation & Discovery

Design Concept

Wireframes & Prototyping

CMS Installation

Templates Production

Content Population

Final Testing

Mobile Views

Post Launch

Although we are very much in the initial stages of the launch (and our metrics are still compiling), we consider it a great success. Of course the website is much improved visually and users are reacting to it positively. We still have additional tools and resources we would like to add to the site in the coming year. By launching a fresh contemporary design, DAI has turned a new leaf. Yes it has a resource with improved actions ( now mobile responsive site, easy to manage and maintain). But more than that; a site that will appeal to a wider demographic and embrace dyslexia.ia as a go to resource for people whose lives are effected by dyslexia.