A Simple SEO Checklist and Audit for your Website
SO you’re launching a new site….great news. You’ve got your SEO sorted, right? SEO. Search Engine Optimisation. It covers website specifications, keywords, building links….you know? OK most of us have an idea of what SEO is but when it comes to implementing best practices it can be difficult. So we’ve created a simple SEO checklist for businesses. Now you can perform your own SEO audit.
#1 Tech SEO Checklist
- Create a Google Analytics account. It will allow you to monitor user journeys and track conversions/bounce rate. Use Ahrefs to measure keyword ranking and link building.
- Next stop:- Google Search Console. Verify you site with google and upload your sitemap for best search results.
- Got a wordpress site? Install Yoast SEO Plugin. It will help you immensely with your SEO. Simple to use and grades your results traffic light style! Now it also assists you verify your site with Google Search Console.
- Get responsive. Do a Google Mobile-Friendly Test. Google now favours mobile sites so make sure your site is multi-device friendly.
- Website Performance & Speed. Analyze your site with Google Page speed insights. The higher the score the better. But if you want to improve SEO, you have to improve actual speed, the actual loading time of your site. PageSpeed does not correlate to actual speed. So a good “grade” could still mean a slow loading time. Focus on speed.
#2 Keyword Analysis
- Channel your inner Buyer Persona. Getting in to your customers heads is the first step to keyword research. Remember, customers are not searching for your site. They are searching for valuable information to solve their problems. Adopting a buyer persona is an essential first step in trying to anticipate how your best customers are interacting with Google.
- Keyword Strategy. Create content using a multitude of keywords rather then focus one single term.
- Brainstorm for Keyword Ideas. Hack Wikipedia for Topic Ideas and Synonyms. Generate 1000’s of long tail keywords ideas using 3 automated tools: Google Autocomplete, Ubersuggest & Keyword Shitter .
- Choose Target Keywords. Once you have a list of possible keywords & phrases, start by reviewing the first page of Google for each keyword. Look to see if there are well established sites with high quality content. Then, use data from the MOZ SEO Toolbar to see the authority and number of links competitors have. Eliminate overly competitive keywords and focus on keywords you actually have a chance to rank for. Your chosen keywords will be the centre pieces of your content.
#3 On Page SEO Tips
- One Page One Keyword. Start with low-volume keywords.
- Write Killer Titles with Tags Search Engines Love.Try to have a unique title tag on each page which includes your keyword. Include modifiers like “best”, “2016” etc. to stand out and to pick up long tail searches. Keep title tags 55 characters or less or they’ll appear truncated in search results.
- Follow Best Practices for URL’s.Use short and sweet URLs that include your target keyword. e.g. www.yourdomain.com/target-keyword. Avoid numbered urls like www.yourdomain.com/p=123.
- Always-use-hyphens-in-urls. Never_use_underscores_in_urls.
- Use Meta Descriptions to Improve Clickthrough Rate. Highlight the benefit of your post or product compared to competitors who already appear in the search results. Keep meta descriptions 160 characters or less or they’ll appear truncated in search results.
- Optimise for the Google Image Search Results. Put keywords in the filename and add alt text to all images.
- Boost SEO with Heading Tags.Your key word should appear inH2 or H3 subheading.
- Outbound Links. At least 2 outbound links to authority sites(popular
blogs, news sites and .edu and .gov resources) in every piece of content that
- Internal links.Have 2/3 internal links to related articles you have previously published.
- Content Length. Minimum 300 words. 1500 words for competitive keywords.
- Share on Social Media. Prominent social sharing buttons on blog posts and articles.
#4 Content creation. Boost clicks and social shares.
- Model Successful Content. Use Buzzsumo to find proven content ideas & formats.
- Put Together Best of Lists. e.g. 10 Best Infographics for Internet Marketers
- Crowdsource Content. e.g. 7 Experts On Why Building Your Email is So Important
- Create Infographics. e.g. Newbie Guide to Online Marketing. Tools: Piktochart, Infogram, Canva.
Bonus Tip: Leverage the high domain authority of other websites like to quickly get to the top of the search results: Guest Posting, YouTube, Slideshare, Udemy, Quora & more. Publish your content on these sites and drive traffic back to your website.
We hope you found this SEO checklist useful. Next step; check out our blog on blogs!